How to stop unsolicited messages of any kind from Glo, MTN, Airtel and Etisalat
If you are, like me, so irritated or disturbed by those self-serving unsolicited messages from Nigeria’s telecoms service providers, you need not fret anymore, as the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has directed all the telecoms companies, including Glo, MTN, Airtel and Etisalat, to activate and publicize some simple and common de(activation) codes.
For so many years, especially after returning from the UK where there are strict laws protecting consumer’s rights and privacy, I had wondered why the Nigerian government was not making serious efforts to deter these companies from freely advertising their value-added-services, especially without the consent of the network subscriber.
The most annoying thing about these unsolicited messages and calls is that you could not simply dump one network for the other, as they were all guilty of it, albeit to varying degrees.
Finally, the NCC, announcing through its Director of Public Affairs, Mr. Tony Ojobo, has mandated all the operators to dedicate a common Short Code (DND – Do not disturb) to enable subscribers opt out from all forms of unsolicited messages or selected categories of their choice.
The best part of this development is that the Short Codes are uniform across all networks; and considering that many Nigerians use two to three rival mobile networks, it is then easier to remember the Short Codes for which ever network is in question.
The Short Codes for managing Unsolicited messages
For full DND (stopping the messages altogether): SMS “STOP” to 2442 on any network.
1. For receiving SMS on Banking/Insurance/Financial products – SMS “1” to 2442
2. For receiving SMS relating to Real Estate – SMS “2” to 2442
3. For receiving SMS relating to Education – SMS “3” to 2442
4. For receiving SMS relating to Health – SMS “4” to 2442
5. For receiving SMS relating to Consumer Goods/Automobiles – SMS “5” to 2442
6. For SMS on Broadcasting/Communication/Entertainment – SMS “6” to 2442
7. For receiving SMS relating to Tourism and Leisure – SMS “7” to 2442
8. For receiving SMS relating to Sports – SMS “8” to 2442
9. For receiving SMS relating to Religion – SMS “9” to 2442